Etanol.nu

Forum för föreningen etanol.nu
Aktuellt datum och tid: tor 24-03-28 21:36

Alla tidsangivelser är UTC + 1 timme

Ny tråd Svara på tråd  [ 13 inlägg ] 
Författare Meddelande
 Inläggsrubrik: our ethanol fuel still :)
InläggPostat: tis 10-01-05 00:13 

Hello!

one of our members developing ethanol fuel stills for home-made fuel - from corn.

performance is about 2,5 liter of 94-95% ethanol per hour in continuous (uninterrupted) working mode, distilling per 1-stage.

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Dela på FacebookDela på TwitterDela på TuentiDela på SonicoDela på FriendFeedDela på OrkutDela på DiggDela på MySpaceDela på DeliciousDela på TechnoratiDela på TumblrDela på Google+

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: tis 10-01-05 00:29 

Very nice! I suppose you are using a so called "reflux still", allowing the ethanol to condense, vaporize, condense, vaporize and so on, multiple times before the real cooling phase?

Unfortunately it is strictly prohibited, unless you got a permit, to make your own ethanol in Sweden. It should be mentioned that a lot of people do it anyway (especially in the north :lol:). Furthermore it's hard to find cheap resources to make it out of. Buying sugar at the local store is a bad idea since it's a monopoly run by the company "Dan Sukker".

Btw, a good (and cheap?) resource would be sugar beet instead of corn. I think it would be easier to ferment sugar beet juice rather than corn since the starch has to broken down to easier sugar molecules.

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: tis 10-01-05 08:22 

in our country it is legal if you make it for yourself, not for sell.

you can drink it, or burn in motor - no problems :)

lowes price - making it from molasses (syrup) - it is a "waste" of sugar industry, but many of our sugar plants are not working in 2-3 years, sugar industry in decline, so sugar beet is not grown in large quantities and price become bigger and bigger.

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: fre 10-01-08 17:49 

Seems quite interesting!
There are other small continuous distillation units available (ready units or just building plans) but this one can use any cheap solid fuel as energy source. All other small continuous columns use electricity as energy source.
If inventor of this distillation unit finishes his efficiency calculation please inform us.
Basically following parameters are interesting:

productivity 2,5l/h - beer alcohol % started with?
alcohol content % left in waste?
energy input per l ethanol produced?

Making fuel ethanol from sugar is bad idea. Especially in EU where sugar price is abnormally high because of import duties to guard local sugar producers.
I have been tried sugar beets 4-5 years ago but it was quite high input crop. It needs a lot of fertilizer and herbicides to grow. USA has solved second problem by sugar beet Roundup Ready hybrid varieties. Last year over 90% of sugar beet crop game from Roundup Ready varieties in USA. Sugar beet also needs constant field rotation and you can plant it on the same field every 4-5 th year.
I think sweet sorghum could be very good fuel ethanol raw material in Ukraine. By the way how much 1ha of average farming land costs at the moment in Ukraine?
All kind of starch containing crops could be turned today to simple sugars at fermentation temperature (SSF) with STARGEN 001 or STARGEN 002 enzyme complexes.
I have been experimenting last few years with Jerusalem Artichokes (I think Jordärtskocka in Swedish). Very high photosynthesis efficiency (nearly three times higher compare to corn) and low input crop which gets all it needs from sunshine and air (CO2). I think JA is the fuel ethanol crop for North European countries like Finland, Sweden and Baltic states.

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: fre 10-01-08 18:25 
Forumadministratör
Användarvisningsbild

ahto skrev:
I have been experimenting last few years with Jerusalem Artichokes (I think Jordärtskocka in Swedish). Very high photosynthesis efficiency (nearly three times higher compare to corn) and low input crop which gets all it needs from sunshine and air (CO2). I think JA is the fuel ethanol crop for North European countries like Finland, Sweden and Baltic states.

Me too, from what I read they grow like weed once you put some in the ground it is hard to get rid of them, much easier to grow than potatoes. I'll try to cultivare some this year because I find them quite tasty and they aven have beatifull flowers too :-)

I like the english name sunroot !http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_artichoke

/Aryan

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: fre 10-01-08 18:38 

Few tip's to grow Jerusalem Artichok/Sunchoke/Sunroot/Topinambur ect:

Try to find locally variety which flowers. Rule of dumb - no flowers no tubers. I ordered last spring few varieties from Germany. One was early maturing "Gute Gelbe" and another very early maturing variety "Topstar". What is early/very early in Germany was not enough early in Estonia. So my local no name variety which flowers like hell outperformed in tubers production those two greatly.
I have row space 80 cm which is my compact tractor wheel base. I plant very dense 10-15 cm apart but I have seen Russian paper where advice was to plant only 5 cm apart. Plant only big and fresh tubers. Plant as early in Spring as possible (field allows to use heavy equipment).

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: fre 10-01-08 19:47 

what do you know about hybrid of sunflower and Jerusalem Artichok?

it's name is "topinsolnechnik" (Топинсолнечник)

i found info in russian wiklipedia - it was created in USSR and giving 40 tonn/ha of tubers and 60 tonn/ha of green mass. 2 time per year.

and it have up to 15% of sugar in green mass.

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: fre 10-01-08 20:01 

I know quite a lot about it. It is one of the highest photosynthesis efficiency terrestrial plants. If I remember correctly 4,5% vs 3,5% Jerusalem Artichok.
It is Russian origin hybrid created in 1930's. One of varieties created by VAVILOV INSTITUTE is NOVOST-VIRA.
I have tried to make ethanol from Jerusalem Artichok foliage and found it very difficult so I prefer tubers. If planting in spring you can get one harvest of tubers in Autumn. 40 t/ha tubers is not a number. My test plots showed this year over 60 t/ha and my goal is close to 100 t/ha. The documented world record for JA tubers was something like 224 t/ha which shows potential of this plant. The problem with tubers is form of carbohydrates accumulated - inulin. There is now large scale cheap enzyme (inulinase) source available. I use acid hydrolysis to break inulin in tubers down to fructose.

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: lör 10-01-09 14:49 
Forummoderator
Användarvisningsbild

Citat:
I use acid hydrolysis to break inulin in tubers down to fructose
wich pH :?: below 3.2? Wich acid do you use, Sulfuric acid or phosphoric acid and in what temperature, above 100 ° C :?:

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: lör 10-01-09 15:48 

pH little bit lower than 2. 1,9...1,95 is good number. Only Sulfuric acid in the form of battery acid (33% solution in distilled water), boiling time 90 minutes.
Found this information some times ago from Polish scientific paper where different acids, boiling times and acid concentrations where compared. According to this paper JA inulin to fructose efficiency is over 90% (close to 95%) if this method is used. But keep in mind - too much acid (too low pH), too long boiling time and you will lose fructose.
Works good for me. I use for fermentation SUPERSTART instant dry yeast from USA (no hydration) and fermentation starts very quickly. I think the best was bubbling 10 minutes after pitching the yeast. I think this particular yeast strain likes fructose much more than glucose or sucrose. To bring pH up close to 5 before fermenting I use cheapest alkaline - lime. I also add yeast nutritions (from GERD STRAND) and small amount of cellulase enzyme.

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: lör 10-01-09 16:09 
Forummoderator
Användarvisningsbild

Are you bubbling with kompressed air. Beqause air help the yeast to bud and you get a higher yield then.

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: sön 10-01-10 15:52 

No I am not! I have few stainless steel air stones somewhere just laying around. I used to use those at very beginning but soon released aerating does not play significant role.
Yeast needs oxygen (air) for multiplying. For small "laboratory" scale batches (1-7l) I pitching overdose of yeast. When making large batches (100 an 1000's l), to keep yeast cost down, I make so called yeast starter. It is more than enough to stir starter flask for 1-2 minutes before pitching yeast into.

There are much more important things for good fermentation:
pH
yeast micro nutritions
nitrogen
cooling for high alcohol fermentation
agitating

I would say from my experiences that even adding cellulase enzyme to plant based mashes improves ethanol yield much more than aerating in the beginning of fermentation.

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: sön 10-01-10 16:37 
Forummoderator
Användarvisningsbild

Of course if you dont´t fulfill the yeast need, it doesnt help with air.

As you mentioned, below is needed

pH
yeast micro nutritions
nitrogen
cooling for high alcohol fermentation
agitating
and clean environment (cleaned with sodium hydroxide solution and steamed)

Nutriotions:
Zinkfosphate
An something that contains iron in a free form
phosphoric acid

Nitrogen:
Ammoniak or urea
amino acids (for high alcohol fermentation)

Air:
Needed for building sterols wich keeps cellmenbrane permeable an thats help the yest from not become stressed.

Visa inlägg nyare än:  Sortera efter  
Ny tråd Svara på tråd  [ 13 inlägg ] 

Alla tidsangivelser är UTC + 1 timme