Författare Meddelande
InläggPostat: mån 09-07-06 22:42 
Forumadministratör
Användarvisningsbild

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 638598.ece

The Sunday Times skrev:
July 4, 2009

Irish firm cleanses Chernobyl’s fields

New method of neutralising contaminated soil will take just three decades instead of centuries

Jan Battles
It will be centuries before Belarus is completely free from the radio-activity that fell after the Chernobyl nuclear disaster 23 years ago. But an Irish company has come up with an innovative way of cleaning up the country’s contaminated land in as little as 30 years.

The Chernobyl Bio-clean Programme is being presented as a win-win solution for the former Soviet republic. Greenfield Project Management plans to use polluted soils to grow bio-fuel crops that will suck up the radioactivity. This will make the earth suitable to grow food within decades rather than centuries.

The resulting bio-fuel will be free from radioactivity, Greenfield says, and will create much-needed economic activity in the area. The company has already signed a framework deal with the Belarussian government and was in Minsk last week meeting officials and its local partner, Belbiopharm, a state biotech company.

Experts from the Belarus Academy of Sciences and the Helmholtz Association for scientific research in Germany agree that repeated harvesting of biomass crops as raw material for bio-fuel refineries would remove radio-nuclides from the soil in contaminated areas.

When the reactor at Chernobyl exploded in Ukraine in 1986, neighbouring Belarus was worst affected, receiving almost 80% of the fall-out, covering 23% of its territory, some 46,500 square kilometres. These soils are now heavily polluted with caesium-137, strontium-90, plutonium and americium, which will take hundreds of years to decay.

While the most heavily polluted land remains evacuated, millions of people live in the contaminated zone. Despite the risk of radioactivity migrating into the food chain, farmers grow some food crops — mostly grains. Most of the radioactive particles from the soil end up concentrated in the roots and stalks, which are ploughed back into the land after harvest — creating a vicious circle of repeated contamination.

Greenfield’s project involves harvesting the entire plant to be used in a refinery to make bio-ethanol, decontaminating the land gradually with each crop. Basil Miller of Greenfield said: “Our advice is if you do this continuously across the area you speed up the process of returning the land to normal use by up to 90%. So where it might have taken 300 or 400 years for this to come about, we might do it between one or two generations.”

First, in a joint venture with the state in Belarus, the company will build a plant facility in Mozyr, deep in the contaminated zone, that will initially use non-contaminated crops to produce 700m litres of bio-ethanol each year.

Andrei Savinykh, the Belarus diplomatic representative at the United Nations in Geneva, said: “We see this idea as a far-reaching possibility. We can produce a fuel on our own territory, thus enhancing our energy security and sustainability of economic development.

“It is a kind of a win-win situation, which is why we are attracted and fascinated by the whole idea. Because we are creating a fuel that is green by its nature, we are not polluting the environment.

“There are vast areas in Belarus which contain radioactive particles in the soil. Those lands are used for agricultural production now. There is a big dilemma here because if we stop producing agricultural products in these areas we will devastate the local economy, but we are afraid of possible migration of radioactive particles from the soil through food to humans. The project is an ultimate solution to the problem. We switch to the production of bio-fuel so our people’s health is protected and we give them an economic foundation to sustain their living.”

Greenfield insists the bio-fuel produced will have no radioactive material in it as only pure ethanol is distilled out, making it safe to use. The heavy radioactive residues left behind in the process will be burnt in a power station producing a concentrated radioactive ash. This can be disposed of at existing treatment works for nuclear waste, according to the company.

If the facilities in Belarus are not in compliance with the International Atomic Energy Agency standards, Greenfield will export it to compliant facilities in Russia across the border.

The project was the brainchild of Ann McClain, chairwoman of Greenfield and a niece of the late Freddy Heineken, the former president of the Dutch brewing company. McClain got seed funding from the Heineken Foundation, a charitable scheme, to explore the possibility of the bio-ethanol project

Dela på FacebookDela på TwitterDela på TuentiDela på SonicoDela på FriendFeedDela på OrkutDela på DiggDela på MySpaceDela på DeliciousDela på TechnoratiDela på TumblrDela på Google+

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: mån 09-07-06 23:00 
Forummoderator
Användarvisningsbild

Hmm när man gör etanol från spanmål så får man ut 3 produkter, flytande etanaol, CO2 i gasform och en fast resprodukt t.ex. DDGS. Vid produktionen koncentreras icke önskade ämnen i råvaran med upp till 3 ggr i den fasta slutprodukten. Här skulle dessa brännas upp vilket koncentrerar upp det ännu mer. Jag undrar hur detta skulle förvaras.

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: tis 09-07-07 06:51 

Anders skrev:
Hmm när man gör etanol från spanmål så får man ut 3 produkter, flytande etanaol, CO2 i gasform och en fast resprodukt t.ex. DDGS. Vid produktionen koncentreras icke önskade ämnen i råvaran med upp till 3 ggr i den fasta slutprodukten. Här skulle dessa brännas upp vilket koncentrerar upp det ännu mer. Jag undrar hur detta skulle förvaras.

-------------------
Enkelt.

I stället för att bränna upp det och sprida radioaktiva partiklar i luften borde man deponera det tillsammans med övrigt lågaktivt avfall från kärnkraftverken.

mvh/BP

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: tis 09-07-07 09:26 
Forumadministratör
Användarvisningsbild

Detta öppnar även helt nya möjligheter för ett litet taktiskt kärnvapenkrig och exploitering av mera -riskfyllt- kärnenergi.

Innan var det ju lite tråkigt med detta att man inte kan använda ett kontaminerad område i hundratals år pga radioaktiviteten men med denna tenik blir det bara 30 år och det är faktiskt inte så farligt.

/Aryan

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: ons 09-07-08 15:48 
Användarvisningsbild

Jag har ganska länge gått och funderat på just detta. Eftersom man sällan hittar kol och syre i restprodukterna från det radioaktiva nedfallet är just etanol en synnerligen bra produkt att odla i dessa områden. Man får en naturlig koncentrering i biprodukterna, kanske till och med tillräckligt högt för att det ska bli lönsamt att upparbeta det som blir kvar inför slutförvaring.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get duct-tape." (Dr. Mabuse http://www.skepticfriends.org)

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: ons 09-07-15 22:26 
Forummoderator
Användarvisningsbild

Hur stort är området runt Tjernobyl?

Men 100.000 Ha blir upp till 200.000 m3 etanol/år och skulle producera upp till 190.000 ton foder.

Om man bränner 190.000 ton foder så blir ca 19 000 ton aska.

Man kan hoppas att inget av detta foder hamnar på marknaden.
Är lite luttrad när det gäller moral i våra österlänska grannländer

Visa inlägg nyare än:  Sortera efter  
Ny tråd Svara på tråd  [ 6 inlägg ] 

Alla tidsangivelser är UTC + 1 timme