Forum för föreningen etanol.nu
Aktuellt datum och tid: tor 24-03-28 22:56

Alla tidsangivelser är UTC + 1 timme

Ny tråd Svara på tråd  [ 18 inlägg ]  Gå till sida Föregående  1, 2
Författare Meddelande
 Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: fre 07-07-20 18:30 
Forummoderator

People who convert carbureted cars to E85 almost always use only one tank and one fuel system. It doesn't seem to be any exceptional cold starting problems, at least not on engines with manual choke.

On engines where the intake manifold has an electric preheater element, for example most carbureted VW and Audi from about 1982 on, Ford Sierra with OHC engine and carburetor, MB "102" engines, a simple cold starting method is to switch on the preheater 30 seconds before starting. On many cars, it is directly controlled by the ignition key so one has just to turn on the ignition and wait 30 seconds before starting. But in other cases, it might be controlled by some kind of time relay or control unit in order not to switch on before the engine has started. This is to avoid unnecessary current draw from the battery if the ignition is on but the engine not started.

Dela på FacebookDela på TwitterDela på TuentiDela på SonicoDela på FriendFeedDela på OrkutDela på DiggDela på MySpaceDela på DeliciousDela på TechnoratiDela på TumblrDela på Google+

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: fre 07-07-20 21:29 

greetings torbjorn:

so the first thing to do would be replacing coldstartcan (autochoke) to a manuel controlled choke...!?

mbkarl said there would be no big difference between coldstaring e85 and e96...

so if there is a fuel preheater type intake like it was used on renault diesel inthe 1990 and an airpreheater the cold startproblem will be done?

do you use carb cars in sweden also in wintertime? until wich temperature this system will be working?
in winter we do have simmilar weather conditions like in southern skandinavia/denmark, it´s an alpine climatic up to -27 degr celsius

thanks and best regards

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: lör 07-07-21 00:52 
Forummoderator

Before the forum crash late 2006, people reported that they had cold started carbureted cars on E85 at down to below -20 °C. But here in Sweden (at least in northern Sweden), we use electric engine preheaters very extensively, and then cold starting is definitively no problem! In most parts of Sweden, we have temperatures below -15 °C for only a few days a year. However, my own experience of cold starting on E85 (but only with fuel injected cars) is that the humidity is at least as important as the temperature. It can be more difficult to start a car in foggy weather at a few degrees below zero than at a clear, sunny day with -15 °C.

The intake manifold preheater of carbureted engines is different from that of modern diesel engines. It is a heating element with a lot of fins or pins to give a big surface, and it is placed immediately below the carbureter. The idea is that the fuel drops that leave the carbureter will fall down to the hot surface of the preheater and vaporize there. The heating element is a self-regulating PTC element, so there is no possibility that it could get so hot that it cases a fire.

In case of an engine with automatic choke, it would certainly be possible to tweak it to get more cold start enrichment. Usually, the "can" can be turned to give more or less enrichment. If there is a vacuum controlled "pull down" device in order to switch of some of the enrichment as soon as the engine has started, it might need some kind of adjustment too. Or perhaps a time delay (small orifice and a vacuum tank).

Visa inlägg nyare än:  Sortera efter  
Ny tråd Svara på tråd  [ 18 inlägg ]  Gå till sida Föregående  1, 2

Alla tidsangivelser är UTC + 1 timme